Embedded USB Server
The VirtualHere USB Server shares USB devices over the network. The server runs entirely in userspace, therefore it is inherently more stable than kernel based solutions. No compilation or kernel modules are required! The server is only a single executable file. The Raspberry PI and Ubuntu Desktop versions have a simple to use Graphical User Interface, or the server can be run as a console only daemon, for easy integration into run-level scripts. Diagnostic messages are output to syslog.
VirtualHere is perfect for OEM integration because:
- The server is entirely in userspace - much more stable and easy to update than kernel based solutions. Running in userspace means that any server problems do not crash the entire server device.
- The Server is single executable file and no installation required. Simply download and run!
- All settings are stored in a simple text file auto-generated with sensible defaults - no complicated registry settings
- Very competitive per unit cost
- Active product development and frequent fixes/improvements/updates
- Server can share up to 128 devices up to 4 hubs deep
- Allows fine-grained authentication using simple bash scripting. Easily create or connect to your existing authentication backend
- Supports Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for better protection from eavesdroppers when sharing over the Internet
- Easily work around device quirks though simple scripting
- Uses the open Bonjour protocol to broadcast its services on the network, this allows clients to auto-find servers
- The client can run as a service and is controllable via an easy to use API
- The client is a single executable file with no dependencies and can be run immediately with no pre installation required
Start the server with the
-h option to find out more about the available server settings.
To install, simply
chmod +x the downloaded file and run with
Version 1.8.7 (Changes)
Raspberry Pi (and clones, e.g banana pi..)
(Root access required)
Virtualhere Server can be compiled for other platforms, contact email@example.com